Honors in Stage Management
The Honors in Stage Management Program provides the opportunity for Drama majors to concentrate on the study and practice of stage management. Honors students study basic and advanced stage management techniques, participate in classes with graduate stage management students, work as assistant stage managers with graduate student stage managers on graduate student-directed and faculty-directed productions, and stage manage a graduate student-directed or faculty-directed production at UCI.
Eligibility requirements are:
- At least one year in good standing at UCI as a Drama major
- Completion of Drama 50A, B, C, D, or equivalent courses
- Completion of Drama 50E
- Possess and maintain an overall GPA of at least 3.2, with a GPA of 3.4 or higher in all stage management and production technique courses
- Completion of eight units of Drama 101 (Theatre Production)
- Completion of the eligibility form (download the form)
Admission to the Honors in Stage Management Program is competitive. Students may be admitted as early as the winter quarter of their sophomore year but no later than the spring quarter of their junior year. Only truly exceptional students (no more than 10 to 20 percent of those eligible) will be admitted as determined by the Honors Committee. Upon completion of eligibility requirements, the student will submit to the Honors Committee:
- Two prompt books
- A resume including all stage management and production experience
- Letters of reference from two directors with whom the student has worked
- A written paper on the subject of stage management
Honors in Stage Management students receive:
- The "Honors in Stage Management" notation on their official transcript
- Nomination and recommendation for national University/Resident Theatre Association (U/RTA) interviews
- Assistant stage manager assignments working with graduate student stage managers
- A stage management assignment on a graduate student-directed or faculty-directed production
Honors candidates meet with the Head of Stage Management at the beginning of every quarter to evaluate their progress.
For more information, refer to the Drama section of the UCIrvine General Catalogue or contact senior lecturer Don Hill, Head of Stage Management in Drama, at (949) 824-3882 or email@example.com.